Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chapter 10 Question 1

I think the the most common marketing strategy that I experienced in the past week is brand recognition. Every company has a brand and they all try to make it stand out and stick in your mind. As mentioned in the book, Apple products use this strategy, and it works! I have been used to seeing the iPhone commercials with the hand holding the phone and going through different processes, but the iPod commercial went in a different direction. It went back to their roots (if you can recall the white iPod on a person blacked out, against a colorful background) it has the same feel. I think that this is smart for Apple to keep with certain themes in their commercials because people do recognize their brands so easily. A type of marketing towards the impulse buyer to me seems the least effective. I am not an impulse buyer at all so that is why putting candy near the register or having time to look around in a drug store while getting a prescription filled is not an effective marketing strategy for me. However,this strategy is most likely very effective for some people since there is probably a large percentage of people that are impulsive buyers.

2 comments:

  1. Hello sjsuFM,
    I totally agree with you that brand recognition is the most used marketing strategy. I agree with you that I am not an impulse buyer but I do tend to shop brands that I am familiar with. I dont know what it is about certain brands that as soon as I see them I think of an old item I have bought from them and instantly want a new item from them. I find myself owning several pairs of nike free-runs. I liked the way you stated what strategies worked on you and which don't. It is weird how companies have done so much research in order to attract or gain new and old customers.

    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too experienced brand recognition. One reason that I experience a lot of that is because I work in the mall and that's all that there is there. Everything both first and second floor are brand names such as American Eagle, Macy's, Nordstrom's, Abercrombie, etc... These brand names are not only advertised on television or in magazines, but they are advertised all over people's bodies. When people buy from these stores, there is almost always a logo on it that is unique to that specific brand. Impulse buying is the worst. I always try to know what I want to get at the store before I go in so I don't end up buying too much of what I didn't plan to. Thanks for sharing about this marketing technique.

    ReplyDelete