Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chapter 12 Question 2


Drawing an incorrect conclusion based on observation alone is like judging a book by its cover. Without knowing the substance behind that cover, you will never really know if your observation was right. I think the most extreme example of this would be the judgments we have about other people. For me, I ran into this issue while working at one of my jobs. A new girl was hired and I was in charge of training her. She moved to my town from SoCal, and was extremely wealthy, and extremely spoiled. I was not excited nor motivated to work with her but I had no choice. After training her for a few days, I realized that yes she had never worked hard a day in her life, but she wanted to try, and she was willing to work as hard as anyone else. We are really great friends now! These little facts I learned about her lead me to a really incorrect conclusion. I was able to discover that my observation was misleading by actually getting to know her. My hypothesis was wrong and testing through my experience brought me to a different conclusion then I had originally anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment