Friday, November 9, 2012

Chapter 11 Question 2


Brook Sadler is an assistant professor and she strongly believes that Internet (and all types of) plagiarism is wrong and that it undermines the educational system. There is also, Russell Hunt another professor that sees Internet plagiarism as an indicator that the education system is in need of a change. He wants to create a system that revolves more around “active learning” rather then the old model, which is comprised of research papers and literary essays. I think that both made a great argument for their side of the issue. I do believe that Sadler is correct that cheating should not be accepted in the educational system, however I also support Hunt in the sense that the education system is out of date and needs to catch up with the times. As the chapter discusses, media and technology are constantly changing and improving our ability to gain information at a push of a button. I think that Sadler is ignoring this fact while Hunt is accepting it too easily. There needs to be a happy medium of incorporating the Internet and all it’s information, but not abusing it nor using it as a substitution for knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Hey SJSUFM,

    I really like how you made your points in this post. I also agree with how both authors are being completely bias on there point of their argument- but I guess they have to do that. I also think there should be a happy medium between both authors. This would be much more beneficial beneficial to students so they don't have to spend hours citing, but also not spend any time with copying and pasting material from the internet. I think that Sadler makes a better presentation of his arguments. With that, good post. I like how you talked about both sides of the argument.

    Thanks,

    GreekGuy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sjsuFM,
    Once again great post. I like the way you presented each writers position on the topic and then how you to some extend compared and contrasted them. It true that Hunt seem to accept the fact more than Sadler does. However, I think he is more correct then Sadler because she cannot even see how a change in the education system might result in an improvement of test scores and overall school performance. I think that because Sadler cannot see a world where new technology and school go hand in hand that it prevents her argument from being a strong one. That is just my opinion but thanks for the post.



    Heisenberg.

    ReplyDelete