Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter 8 Question 2


If you are a Christian and follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, then you do not support the death penalty.
Most Christians do support the death penalty.
Therefore, most Christians do not follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

This deductive argument concludes that many people even if they are Christian sometimes will interpret things to fit modern dilemmas. I am not trying to make a plea to abolish or support the death penalty, but more to show that teachings that state not to “return hate for hate and evil for evil” can be interpreted by the believer and then formed into a new conclusion based on their own findings. The teachings of Jesus of Nazareth can be an important part of ones findings but a decision is not limited to only those words. This scriptural passage does not prohibit the use of the death penalty necessarily. Some might take it more word for word, while others might use it as an idea, in collection with others, in making their decision in whether to support the death penalty or not.

1 comment:

  1. Hello SjsuFM,
    I really enjoyed your post because you neither supported nor attacked any idea presented. You rather, in my opinion, did a great job of critically thinking about multiple interpretations of the passage. I had a hard time coming up with the deductive argument but yours made sense to me. Now that I have seen an example I can try you follow your model next time. But returning back to your post I enjoyed when you said, I am not trying to make a plea to abolish or support the death penalty, but more to show that teachings that state not to “return hate for hate and evil for evil” can be interpreted by the believer and then formed into a new conclusion based on their own findings." This is what I was talking about when I said that you stated neutral rather then present us with your bias opinion. You did a good job with this weeks post.

    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete