Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chapter 4 Question 1


Wisdom is define as the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.

Knowledge is the acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition.

When looking at these definitions side by side, they seem very different. In college I think that we are gaining knowledge in school by being educated. We are also gaining wisdom by going through the process of being a college student. It is a time where many people learn more about themselves then any other time in their life. Yes, we are learning facts, dates, formulas and theories, but we are also learning about the adults we will eventually become. Hopefully these things we experience in college make us wiser by deciding what we think is right and wrong, or what we believe in and value. All the different facets of college bring both knowledge and wisdom to us.

I think that technology is making us more knowledgeable just because I know I Google everything. Having a conversation and someone says they want to climb Mount Shasta. Type in Mount Shasta I have every tid-bit I could ever want about that mountain. I did not need all the information, but I got it and it was extremely easy. Technology is making it easier and easier to gain facts like that regardless if it makes us wiser or not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wisdom?s=t
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/knowledge

2 comments:

  1. Hello SjsuFM,
    I want to start by saying that this was a post that I agree with on many levels. I think that in college we are learning so much about our career paths and the fundamentals that it will be require of us. This is like you stated is taught to us as formulas, theories, language devices and fallacies, and all of these things add to our knowledge. However, learning is not all we do because we also face many decision while in college. These decisions help us in gaining wisdom, like you stated, by learning right and wrong. Great post once again I enjoyed reading it.

    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sjsuFM,

    I said the same thing in my post. Where we learn knowledge and wisdom in college. We gain knowledge through going to classes but we also gain wisdom by just going to college and being around other students and professors. College help people gain more insight about themselves and other people. College helps us learn about to interact with other people, students and adults. It has taught me a little on how to speak professionally to people, which I thought I already knew how to do, but college has made me better at it.
    I agree that technology has made it easier to find information and gain more knowledge but it does not necessarily make people wiser.

    ReplyDelete