Friday, October 5, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 2


In chapter 3 we have a lot to consider when thinking about language. Not only is it important in what we say but how we say it. That definitely brings me to my first (probably most frequently used) device, sarcasm! I loved Wikipedia’s explanation of sarcasm as “a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt”. An example of how I used sarcasm is as writing this blog, I asked my boyfriend “When was the last time I used sarcasm this week? It’s just SO hard to nail it down.” This was an obvious example since I use sarcasm possibly, too often. Another rhetorical device that I have to use all the time are euphemisms. I work as a preschool teacher and when I am speaking with the other teachers or parents I really have to watch my language. This is why I will substitute out harsh or somewhat inappropriate words to lessen the harshness, just incase young ears might be listening.

2 comments:

  1. Hey SJSUFM,

    You are just like me. Sarcasm makes the world a better more funnier place to live in. Sarcasm is something you can do with loved ones, family, friends, and just about anyone you know. Another thing i do with sarcasm is use it when I am angry. It really shows people a different side of the field situation when sarcasm is used in a heated argument. Euphemisms are are something in my life. It is always good to watch language, because it helps with class and being professional. Overall great post,

    -Greek Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sjsuFM,
    I love sarcasm also. It is the best with friends because there, for the most part, is no limit on how harsh or how taunting we may be. I think I might use it too often because people sometimes call me a sarcastic diva, whatever that means. I sometimes find myself having little Euphemisms because I always speak my mind and say it in whatever language it was thought in. I know that I need to master this rhetorical skill better but I hate watching my mouth because I feel like I am not being myself. Nevertheless I do need to learn this skill in order to be looked upon kindly in the work place. I really liked your personal examples because they made me giggle keep up the great posts.


    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete